Nuremberg Toy Fair 2022 will take place between 2.02.2022 and 6.02.2022. The format of the event will be digital. Organisers have opted to change the event format from hybrid to digital due to the complications caused by Covid-19's Omicron variant. The organisation committee is in the process of considering when to host the next live edition of the fair. The next live rendition of Nuremberg Toy Fair will take place at Messe Nuremberg. It will feature comprehensive coronavirus protective measures. The measures will include the following regulations:
- All ticket sales and voucher redemptions will take place online. All participants must register in advance via the dedicated ticket or voucher shops. This includes visitors, stand builders, exhibitors, accredited media representatives and service providers. During registration, participants must provide full contact details. These are necessary for potential contact tracking. The e-tickets and vouchers are day and person-related. They will be available in paperless format only and will grant contactless access. Attendants must present the ticket with a 3G document when entering the exhibition. The documents include a vaccination certificate, proof of recovery or negative test result.
- All participants of the fair must observe the proper sneeze and cough etiquette. This includes sneezing or coughing in the crook of the arm. Participants must also refrain from shaking hands. Frequent and thorough handwashing is mandatory. Attendees can peruse the sanitiser stations distributed throughout the fair.
- Participants must wear masks in all indoor areas. Exceptions include locations with fixed seating or standing places. They also feature areas with a hygiene protection wall between participants. Exceptions also include negotiations held at an exhibition stand. Participants may not wear masks outdoors, except in congested entrance and meeting areas. Central locations at Messe Nuremberg will include standardised face-covering supplies.
- High-touch surfaces (tables, door handles, handrails), and sanitary facilities will receive frequent cleaning. The venue will undergo complete air changes every few hours. For the task, the venue will have a ventilation system with separate exhaust and supply flows.
- Messe Nuremberg will have a strict social distance regulation in place. Participants must observe a social distancing of 1.5 m in all areas. To support compliance, the venue will feature several changes. These include wider aisles, increased floor space, and revised entrance areas. Also, the forum and conference areas will feature new seating configurations. Digital guidance systems and notice boards will remind about the distance regulations.
Nuremberg Toy Fair or Spielwarenmesse is the toy manufacturing industry's main event. It is the central presentation stage for the latest trends and innovations. It is also the main meeting hub for professionals seeking to expand their knowledge. Furthermore, the Nuremberg Toy Fair is the central procurement platform for the industry. Spielwarenmesse takes place every year at Messe Nuremberg during January or February. The expo often features exhibitors donating toys to support local social institutions.
Business profile of the event
The Nuremberg Toy Fair is a central meeting hub for many industry specialists. Such include stationery, museum, online, gift, model construction, game, and toy shops. They furthermore include game rental, Halloween, role play, and costume rental shops. Baby and sporting goods shops are also among the attending. Spielwarenmesse additionally attracts drug, craft, department, furniture, DIY, and lifestyle stores. Furthermore, the fair is the meeting location for fun, leisure, and theme park managers. It is also where supermarkets, discounters, funfair businesses, mail-order businesses and licensors meet. The fair additionally draws food, decoration, and electronics retailers. Theatrical and nursery/school outfitters furthermore attend Spielwarenmesse. So do specialist media, trade publishers, and booksellers. Additionally, promotional item sellers, game designers and illustrators visit the trade show. Stationery and promotional item traders also attend the fair. Likewise, Spielwarenmesse is the meeting location for licensing, event, and advertising agencies. Games forums, education sector decision-makers, social and public institutions also attend. Attendees include start-ups, small, mid-size and large companies. they furthermore include local enterprises such as Purzmurzel and Bruder Spielwaren. They also incorporate global leaders such as Mattel, Hasbro and Ricochet.
What is New for Nuremberg Toy Fair 2022?
Nuremberg Toy Fair 2022 will be a hybrid event. It will consist of a live exhibition and a complementing digital platform. The platform’s name is Spielwarenmesse Digital, and it will include several services. These include exhibitors being able to create digital company profiles. The service will also allow them to interact with visitors via video conferences. The platform will furthermore provide users with access to the support programme. This will include the Toy Business Forum, the LicenseTalks and other events. There will also be a networking service for arranging in-person or virtual meetings. The virtual meetings can take place via private or group chats. They can also use audio calls and video meetings.
The 2022 edition of Spielwarenmesse will feature the megatrend: Toys go Green. The megatrend will have a special zone dedicated to it. The zone is “Toys go Green” and it will feature four themed islands. The Zone will be available in Hall 3A and include four product categories. The categories are “Made by Nature”; “Inspired by Nature”; “Discover Sustainability”; “Recycle & Create”. “Made by Nature” will feature toys created from bamboo, cork, wood, maize, rubber, and wool. “Inspired by Nature” will feature renewable raw materials such as bio-based plastics. “Discover Sustainability” will present educational toys that explain the environment and climate. “Recycle & Create” will showcase toys created from recycled raw materials or upcycling. The special area will also provide background information about sustainability. The megatrend will also feature as topics at the Toy Business Forum.
The Nuremberg Toy Fair will also coincide with the Game Inventors’ Fair. The event will occur as the “Internationale Spieleerfindermesse — Game Inventors Convention”. The Game Inventors Convention will feature the latest game prototype launches. The Game Inventors’ Fair will take place at the Brussels Hall. It allows games developers to present their prototypes to a tailor-made target group. The group will include editors, agencies, critics, trade journalists, bloggers, and product managers. The Convention will also feature a networking party. This allows exhibitors to network with game publishers, critics, and trade journalists.
The Spielwarenmesse 2022 will once again include the Toys meet Books. There will also be several event changes. The first change affects the exhibition. It will include several product group alternations. Among them is the consolidation of the Model Construction and Model Railway segments. There will be a new segment for electronic toys with a focus on drones, robots, multimedia, and RC vehicles. The Festive Articles, Carnival, Fireworks segment will undergo expansion. Another event change will affect ToyAward. The international Award will include a new category — Sustainability. The category will provide recognition to products with a high sustainability level.
There will also be a new area in Hall3A — the Area for Service Providers. The zone will enable several types of professionals to showcase their wares. The zone will also provide revised presentations of the latest product innovations. Professionals who can use the area include merchandise management systems and POS experts. It also includes experts related to shopfitting and logistics. Marketing service specialists can additionally take part. So can production technology and consultancy experts. Software, packaging and display experts can exploit the area as well. Professionals who handle resources and manufacturing materials can also exhibit at the Area. So can test and inspection institutes. Target audiences include specialist buyers, trading companies, independent distributors and retailers. They also include retail and industry employees who handle purchasing services. Industrial companies, purchasing cooperatives and trade associations will additionally attend.
Did you know?
The Nuremberg Toy Fair allows professionals to complete five important goals. Among them is gaining recognition, networking and conducting business. Also, Spielwarenmesse allows industry specialists to overview markets and expand their expert knowledge. The Fair can help professionals due to its diverse support programme.
One of the central sub-events in Spielwarenmesse’s programme is the exhibition. It is the leading location for gaining recognition, conducting business onsite and networking. This is due to the exposition allowing professionals to showcase their latest wares. It also enables them to communicate with other experts and raise brand awareness. The exhibition often features more than 2700 exhibitors and contains 12 product groups. These include:
- Lifestyle Products
- Model Railways and Construction
- Technical, Educational, Action toys
- School Articles, Stationery, Creative Design
- Games, Books, Learning and Experimenting
- Dolls and Soft Toys
- Baby/Infant Articles
- Wooden and Made From Natural Materials Toys
- Electronic Toys
- Sports, Leisure, Outdoor
- Festive Articles, Carnival, Fireworks
- Multi-Product Group
Each segment features a range of subdivisions. The subdivisions for each product group are as follows:
- Fashion & Accessories
- Home & Decoration
- Gift Articles
- Model Railways and Model Construction
- Model railways
- Model construction
- Technical Toys, Educational Toys, Action Toys
- Technical Toys
- Educational Toys
- Action Toys
- School Articles, Stationery, Creative Design
- School Articles
- Creative Design
- Games, Books, Learning and Experimenting
- Learning and Experimenting
- Soft Toys
- Baby Toys
- Baby Textile
- Travel Systems
- Care & Food
- Home and safety products
- Wooden Toys, Toys made from natural materials
- Wooden Toys and Articles
- Toys made from natural materials
- Robot toys
- RC toys
- Virtual play
- Electronic learning
- Other Electronic Toys
- Outdoor winter
- Outdoor summer
- Festive Articles, Carnival, Fireworks
- Festive Articles
- This product group is for manufactures whose portfolio spans several categories.
All exhibition product groups also include various sustainable and special needs toys. They additionally feature licence articles.
Nuremberg Toy Fair additionally includes other sub-events that can be valuable to attendees. These include, for instance, thematic areas which showcase innovations from different product groups. Example thematic areas are Tech2Play and ShowTime. Tech2Play is the leading location for innovations from the Electronic Toys group. Such can include new models, software, accessories, and others. ShowTime is a 200 m2 special area with an entertaining sub-programme. It features sub-events such as a catwalk show. There are also locations for party professionals to present their latest innovations. Such zones allow professionals in particular start-ups to gain recognition.
The ToyAward can also allow professionals such as aspiring experts to gain acknowledgement. This is due to the Award lauding innovations that help the industry’s development. The ToyAward attracts a broad group of attendees, including media representatives. This allows competitors to raise brand awareness. Also, winners will have access to intensive media advertising during the whole year. The ToyAward features five permanent categories and one rather recent addition. The permanent categories are Baby & Infant, PreSchool, SchoolKids, Teenager & Adults and Startup. Baby & Infant is for novelties targeting the 0 to 3 year age group. The PreSchool category is for novel products that target children between 3 and 6 years old. SchoolKids is for novelties that target 6 to 10-year-old kids. Teenagers & Adults is for innovations whose target age group is from 10 years onward. The Startup category is for new business entrepreneurs and companies. The criteria for the ToyAward are:
- Play fun (level of fun the innovation provides)
- Originality (how original is the ware?)
- Safety (Is the innovation safe to use by the target age group?)
- Workmanship & quality (How high is the quality of the workmanship?)
- Comprehensibility of product concept (How easy is the product concept to understand?)
- Prospects of success in the shop (How high is the innovation’s chance of success on the market?)
A rather recent addition to ToyAward is the “Sustainability” category. It reflects the trending industry change related to sustainability and climate protection. The category is for innovations that feature high sustainability ratings. The category features five criteria. These are:
- Renewable resources
- Renewable energies
- Circular product
- Circular packaging
- Playing, and learning content
"Renewable resources" gauge the use of renewable resources. Innovations fulfil this criterion when they meet at least two conditions. The conditions are:
- At least 30% of the material components must use such resources during manufacture.
- Certification of the content of biogenic resources as per EN, DIN, TUV or other standards.
- Biomass origin prevents harmful effects. These include nature conservation area repurposing or deforestation.
- Biomass origin is clear, with the supply chain being certified as far as possible. The certification must follow standards such as FSC, PEFC, ISCC, RSB, RSPO and REdcert.
- The website communicates the use of renewable resources in a way the is understandable. Likewise, it states in clear terms the production location and standards.
Renewable energies gauge the usage of renewable energies. Novelties fulfil the criterion if it meets at least two conditions. The conditions include:
- At least 50% of the total energy consumption is generated from renewable energy sources;
- Renewable energy use and origins are demonstrable via ISO 50001;
- The website communicates in clear terms the use of renewable energies;
- The energy consumption is minimised, or the energy efficiency is maximised;
The Circular product criterion measures the life cycle quality of the innovation. The nominated wares fulfil the criterion if they meet at least two of the following:
- The website has verifiable statements about the use of recycled raw materials;
- The website has verifiable statements about repairability or lifespan. These include guarantee statements or take-back obligations;
- The website contains verifiable statements about recyclability;
- The take-back scheme services are transparent and verifiable;
Circular packaging focuses on how renewable the packaging is. The innovation meets the criterion when at least two of the following have been completed:
- There are verifiable statements about the recycled raw materials use;
- There are verifiable statements about the later use of the packaging according to the material type. These statements also follow state requirements in the marketed location. They also have a recycling scheme licence;
- There are verifiable statements about recyclability being product and material-specific;
Learning and playing content gauges the play concept's communication on sustainable development. The novelty meets this criterion when at least two conditions are fulfilled:
- They explain in clear terms what climate change means;
- They explain what is biodiversity (plants, animals);
- They explain what are renewable energies;
- They explain circular economy (upcycling/recycling, manufacture, waste disposal, etc.);
Spielwarenmesse also provides ample opportunities for expanding one’s specialist knowledge. Such include TrendGallery, Toy Business Forum, Toys meets Books, ToyAcademy and ToyCity. TrendGallery showcases the future trends of the toy industry. It features trend scouts presenting their latest research results. TrendGallery can help professionals to learn about important trends. As a result, they will gain insights they can exploit when creating new product concepts. Likewise, the Toy Business Forum can also help them in gaining such insights. The Forum also enables them to learn about the latest issues and market developments. For the task, they can take part in one or more lectures that feature leading experts as their hosts. The Forum also allows attendees to gain practical marketing and sales tips. Furthermore, the Forum allows professionals to network with other leading professionals.
ToyAcademy resembles the Toy Business Forum in some aspects. The Academy allows professionals to learn about retail trade, markets, sustainability, and digitalisation. It also features international experts presenting valuable information. Yet, the Academy may not include practical examples. The Toys meets Books is a special area that presents different theme worlds. It allows booksellers to learn how to incorporate toys into their product range. This includes presenting products that are relevant to the book trade. These include various toys, accessories, and other such wares. The special area also contains the Toy Meets Books Talks. These are interviews with leading experts who will discuss important bookseller topics. Such include the internal working of the toy market. They also feature complementary product ranges and emotive themed table presentation creation.
ToyCity is a specialised tour that presents the toy manufacturing history of Nuremberg. It allows professionals to explore museums, retailers, and doll doctors to gain inspiration. The toured locations include the German Games Archive. It contains over 30 000 games, around 7000 books and legacy wares from famous game designers. They also include the Germanisches Nationalmuseum (German National Museum). The Museum features 20 000 historical toys. This includes four Nuremberg 17th century dollhouses and unique historical paper theatres. There are also many optical, girls and boys toys. Visitors will also find toys dating from the age of reform to the early 20th century.
The Nuremberg Toy Fair is a must-attend for toy manufacturing industry professionals. Such include stationery, toy, online, model railway & construction, gift, game, and museum shops. It also applies to game and costume rental, Halloween, role play, baby, and sporting goods shops. Spielwarenmesse can be valuable to craft, drug, furniture, department, DIY, and lifestyle stores. Furthermore, Nuremberg Toy Fair can aid fun, leisure, theme, and park managers. It is also a must-attend for supermarket, funfair and mailorder business experts. Discounters and licensors should opt to attend as well. So should decoration, food, and electronics retailers. Theatrical and nursery/school outfitters should opt to attend Spielwarenmesse. Trade publishers, booksellers, promotional item sellers, game designers and illustrators should attend. Stationery and promotional item traders can gain valuable information at the fair. Likewise, Spielwarenmesse can be beneficial for event, licensing, and advertising agencies. Games forums, education sector decision-makers, public and social institutions should also attend.
Start-ups should look forward to several sub-events. These include the Tech4Fun, ShowTime and Start-up Areas. They can also opt to take part in the ToyAward competition.
Your Hotel Room in Nuremberg
Invest in your business trip with hotel accommodation selected for your specific need. Travel 2 Fairs Ltd works with you to send you hotels in Nuremberg with an ideal location and price tag. This allows you to select the hotel offers that work best for you. Such as placing you near Messe Nuremberg for a quicker commute. We have long worked with large groups, so you can query for parties of twenty people and more. The entire registration process takes up to a day, and you leave all details to us. Also, Travel 2 Fairs ltd assists with logistics as well. You can request a rent-a-car or an airport transfer in both directions, whether it is private or shared.
Spielwarenmesse is an annual trade fair that takes place at Messe Nuremberg for 5 days. Spielwarenmesse eG organises the event with hosting hours being between 9 am and 6 pm. The visiting hours apply to exhibitors and visitors alike. Messe Nuremberg is one of Nuremberg’s leading event locations. The exhibition site is a venue with ample public transportation connections. This allows you to travel to the exhibition centre from different districts and save time. For example, there are several bus, train, and metro stations close to Messe Nuremberg. These permit reaching the venue in 8 minutes from Nuremberg’s central station. Likewise, they also allow you to access the messe in 20 minutes from Nuremberg Airport.
Nuremberg(Nuernberg) is among Germany’s largest and popular exhibition cities. It is an urban community that has an extensive public transportation system. The network consists of various intra- and intercity bus, train, metro, and car routes. These include connections that provide access to other German cities, such as Erlangen. For example, by using the available public transport, you can reach Erlangen in 19 minutes. Likewise, you can reach Schwabach in 20 minutes. Nuremberg is a tourist city with ample and diverse dining and accommodation options. For example, there are more than 300 hostels, hotels, guest houses and apartments. Dining options include restaurants, markets, bars, clubs, and cafés. When considering where to stay, opt for areas such as the Altstadt or Substadt.
Audience and Statistics
Nuremberg Toy Fair is a trade fair that often exceeds 60 000 attendees. For instance, the 2020 edition included 2843 exhibitors and 63500 visitors. One hundred thirty-six countries attend Spielwarenmesse to examine around 120 000 innovations. Among the attending countries are nations such as Japan, China, Russia, India, Germany, France, the UK and Belgium. Attending nations also include the USA, Canada and Brazil. The toy manufacturing industry attends the fair. So do related sectors such as the hobby, children’s clothing and games. The cosmetics, fashion, home, kitchen, and bathroom textile sectors also attend. Likewise, sectors related to electronics, home decor and others attend.
The 2020 edition of the Nuremberg Toy Fair took place between 29.01.2020 and 22.02.2020 at Messe Nuremberg. The edition occurred as a live exhibition and featured 136 represented countries. 2843 exhibitors presented a total of 120 000 innovations. Sixty-three thousand five hundred visitors attended the edition. Highlights included the third rendition of Toys meets Books.