Introduction to Bauma 2022
Introduction to the prestigious trade fair Bauma
Staying informed about the latest policies and innovations is vital to remain competitive. So is seeking new partners and maintaining connections with current ones. This is due to it aiding you in securing new deals. Yet, achieving these goals can be challenging, especially regarding long-term trends. There are several means of completing such objectives. One of them is attending the triennial trade fair, Bauma. How can the event aid you in achieving such goals?
A summary of the event
Bauma is one of the must-attend events for the construction and mining sectors. It is a trade fair comprising 18 halls that present the latest innovations and wares. The fair additionally shows the latest information of interest. Such include new policies, trends, and potential business opportunities. The fair also aids in raising brand awareness and enabling networking. It allows participants to complete various business goals while attending one event. This includes preparing for the upcoming years, especially 2030.
Bauma 2022 achieves such objectives by presenting a comprehensive event schedule. It features various sub-events, each with a different goal. The micro-events feature one or more core topics as their central theme. These vary from rendition to rendition. They also reflect the current megatrends affecting the construction and mining industries. For instance, the 2022 edition features five key topics:
- The construction methods and materials of tomorrow
- Digitalisation as the path towards autonomous machines
- The mining sector – a sustainable, efficient and reliable industry
- The digital construction site
- The route towards zero emissions
The displaying of each key topic occurs via a separate Theme Day. These take place on specific event days and feature one or more sub-events. Each micro-event presents issues related to the theme days. Examples include the latest sustainable mining methods or new digitalisation tools. It allows participants to learn the latest and essential information. This incorporates means to implement the ongoing megatrends. The sub-events influenced by the Theme Days include:
- The Bauma Forum
- The Science Hub
- The novel Start-up Area
- The Machines in Construction 4.0
- The VR Experience
- The Exhibition
- The Live Demonstrations
Bauma Forum is among the pivotal sub-events. It enables participants to exchange information about diverse topics via the conference programme. Examples include the newest innovations, scientific contributions, business opportunities, and policy changes. The current Theme Day influences the subjects. Sessions such as keynotes, panel discussions, or exhibitor presentations discuss each topic. Leading companies, start-ups or institutions of higher education host them. For instance, the 2022 rendition features speakers from Siemens AG and TU Dresden. Leading industry figures such as Sunny Schoone present them. The Bauma Forum occurs for five days, with the subjects of each day reflecting the current Theme Day. For instance, the 2022 rendition features the following Theme Day schedule:
- Focus day 24.10.2022 – Construction methods and materials of tomorrow with highlights:
- The European Union’s Decarbonisation Policies
- Discussions and Presentation on Decarbonising Cement and 3D Concrete Printing
- Focus day 25.10.2022 – The path to autonomous machines with highlights:
- The Importance of Autonomous Machines in Achieving Zero-Emission Goals
- Discussion on the Path to Creating Autonomous Machines
- Focus day 26.10.2022 – Mining as a sustainable, efficient and reliable industry with highlights:
- Automation within the context of economic mining challenges
- Essential technologies for the creation of green and autonomous mines
- The standardised information and machine-to-machine interaction model created via OPC UA
- The challenges of E2E Optimining integration
- Focus day 27.10.2022 – The digital construction site with highlights:
- The importance of digital construction site data in optimising construction companies
- Presenting the digital language, MiC 4.0
- Focus day 28.10.2022 – The path to Zero emissions with highlights:
- Overviewing the ambitious carbon-neutral global goals to be achieved by 2030 and 2050
The Science Hub is also a sub-event influenced by Theme Days. It is similar in intent to the Bauma Forum micro-event. It presents the latest information of interest to the construction and mining sectors. Yet, it differs in that it displays the latest research projects. This includes showcasing the connection between research results and vocational training. Each presentation features one or more representatives from leading higher education institutions. They allow participants to network while expanding their knowledge. For instance, the 2022 edition of the Science Hub features the following partners:
- Technical University Dresden
- Institute of Industrial Engineering (IAB) Weimar
- Technical University and University of Applied Sciences of Freiburg
- Technical University Munich
- Technical University of Aachen
- Technical University of Cologne
- Technical University of Wroclaw
- Technical University of Hamburg
- Technical University Duisburg/Essen
Among the example topics presented within the Science Hub are:
- Automation and digitisation in future construction: an applied Rresearch
- Using decentralised data acquisition and communication systems in underground Operations
- The importance of machine data for connected construction sites
The novel Start-up Area showcases the wares of innovative young companies. For instance, the 2022 rendition of the Area presents the wares of 47 start-ups, including BauMotor and Karelics. The Start-up Area also features Startup Speaker Sessions. These comprise five young companies displaying their solutions that reflect the current Theme Day. It enables them to raise brand awareness and network.
The goal of the "THINK BIG!" sub-event is like that of the Start-up Area. It allows students to overview the latest study programmes within the industries. They can also experience live demonstrations of various technologies. Approximately 20 associations, companies, and institutes of higher education present these. Workshops, simulators, and experiments achieve this. For instance, the 2022 edition of the event features partners such as:
- Komatsu Germany GmbH
- Zeppelin GmbH
The Live Demonstrations is a sub-event comprising various live demonstrations. They present the latest machine and vehicle applications. They allow participants to review innovations and their uses in real-time. For instance, the 2022 programme enables attendants to examine wares such as:
- New safety lighting balloons
- Earthmoving and material-handling machines
- Excavator guidance systems
- A novel site flow management programme
- Novel sustainable bored pile processing method
- A new modular facade scaffolding
- Innovative off-road vehicle hydrogen storage solutions
Each live demonstration features a leading company, an institution of higher education, or a start-up as the presenter. Examples include Liebherr, Airstar, and Wacker Neuson.
The International Bauma Innovation Award is one of the pivotal sub-events. It lauds innovations that will further the development of the industries. The event accomplishes this by presenting market-ready wares that display core topics, such as sustainability.
The Innovation Award features five categories:
- Mechanical engineering
- Climate protection
An independent jury selects the respective category winner. The judging panel comprises leading researchers, industry delegates, and trade press representatives like Alexandre Marchetta.
Participants should not overlook the VR Experience sub-event. It is a test location where attendants can overview innovations via VR simulations. For instance, they can examine how various novel machines perform in a real-time constriction site. Among them are:
- An automated mobile excavator, loading crane and wheel loader
- Local construction site networking via 5G campus networking systems
- Drone monitoring of construction progress
- Construction site management from the planning to the building via digital models
Many of the sub-events take place in the Innovation Hall bauma LAB0. It is held in the International Congress Centre of the venue. It presents a complete overview of the sectors via the various sub-events:
- Bauma Forum
- Science Hub
- Start-up Area
- Machines in Construction 4.0
- VR Experience
Notable event and schedule details
The event’s sub-events tend to occur on all seven days. Examples include the Innovation LAB0, the Start-up Area, the Science Hub and the Live Demonstrations. Yet, some micro-events take place on specific days. For example, the Innovation Award occurs on the first day and the Machines in Construction on the fourth. Some sub-events additionally take place during a specific set of days. Two such instances are the Bauma Forum and the THINK BIG! They occur between the first and fifth day.
Who attends Bauma?
Bauma is a trade fair that features members of the building technology and building machinery sectors. The transport, mining, utility, media, and education industries also attend it. Additionally, the occupational safety and security, railway and port equipment segments participate. So does the engineering industry. Manufacturers, experts, associations, higher education institutions, and students present the industries.
Bauma’s attendance rates are reasonably high. For instance, one edition featured over 3,700 exhibitors and 620,000 visitors. Over 200 countries attended the event. This included 63 exhibitor nations, with 66% of the exhibitors representing a foreign state. Many participants rate the fairs as satisfactory. For instance, 95% of the exhibitors mark the event as helpful, and 99% of the group confirms their next edition. 70% of Bauma attendees are decision-makers.
Notable participant companies
Bauma is a trade fair that often features leading companies as its participants. For instance, the Bauma 2022 exhibitor list includes leading companies, such as:
Attending Bauma can help you prepare for decisive industry changes. Yet, knowing what to expect is the first step toward productive attendance. Another essential step towards efficient preparation is to find suitable hotel accommodations. This is because proper rest and preparation are vital to beneficial participation. Furthermore, a convenient accommodation choice can help to reduce the time required to travel to the venue. There are various options for procuring and booking acceptable lodging, including Bauma accommodation.
Events occurring during the same month
Bauma is among the various leading trade shows occurring in October 2022. Examples include K Messe and SIAL Paris.
A summary of past editions
Bauma Germany 2019 was held between 08.04.2019 and 14.04.2019 in Messe Munich. The live trade show marked a record for the event due to its 3,702 exhibitors and 620,000 visitors. 66% of the exhibiting companies represented a foreign country. Over 200 nations attended the edition, whose event space spanned 614,000 m2.